Monday, February 9, 2009

American History Museum

There are many Smithsonian Museums in Washington, DC (19 actually, now that I know that, I have just made it my goal to visit all 19 of them). They're all called things like the "National Museum of American History" and the "National Air and Space Museum" but since most things here are "national" all the locals just kind of leave the fanciness of the name out and call it simply the "Air and Space Museum," I promise, people know what you're talking about.

Trying to fit in with the locals (I thought about saying "natives" but most people here are not native to here), the title of this one is American History Museum. Now you just must remember that since I am in DC, it is the "National Museum of American History." This was a very long explanation for a very simple subject, probably one that nobody cares about. Tough!

Melina and I went to the American History Museum about a week ago (I know, I'm trying to keep up, but the laziness is still clinging to me). There we had to see the most important things such as the Ruby Slippers, which do not come in my size. They're like a size 5, Judy Garland had very small feet. They are so small that I can't even pretend to be Dorothy Gale and tap dance around an imaginary yellow brick road. Nevermind that they're behind glass and highly protected.


Remember Sesame Street? I do. Kermit the Frog was here too. We had a lovely discussion about rainbows and connections and the number 12. I chose to take the picture with the slightly less famous Oscar the Grouch because he is a little more my style. The fame hasn't quite gone to his head yet. In fact, he's a little bitter about it, and it made me grumpy just talking to him. Gosh, grouchy people are a drag. Scram!

They have many other exhibits. Like the one for Abraham Lincoln (he turns 200 this year), and that stovepipe hat of his. On display is also the Star-Spangled Banner. Not just an American flag, the American flag. It's a banner and it's spangled in stars, and thus the non-heroic, but very poetic Francis Scott Key found courage in seeing it flying high even though he was locked in the dungeon part of a boat just off shore. I'd have taken a picture, but it's very old and very delicate and they won't let you take pictures. And also, I always follow all rules.
The American History Museum also has a lovely exhibit of all the presidents of the United States. It's very interesting. There is even a little note in the Abraham Lincoln part that says the stovepipe hat is currently on loan to another exhibit, and yes, it directs you across the hall to where the Abraham Lincoln exhibit is. But, the most exciting part about the President Exhibit is where you get to see what it's like to give an inauguration speech. This is me giving my speech. Perhaps I should have put more thought into my inauguration gown.

3 comments:

  1. You're taller than most presidents, judging by the podium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fabulous post! I loved it! I laughed when I saw you wrote, "Scram." haha, yes, grouches are such a drag. I'm glad you are having fun! I will have to add that museum on my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just remembered that you started a blog, and I wanted to see how D.C. is treating you. Wish Sierra and I could play out there with you and Melina. What fun. How's the job search coming? You've gotta have the Zoo and Library of Congress at the top of places to visit. So cool.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete