Friday, February 20, 2009

Natural History Museum

This is a lovely life-sized elephant that you see when you first walk in the museum. I named him Lovely Elelphant. Sometimes when you go see museums, you see them with other people. I know, quite a shocker, isn't it? And sometimes those other people have children, and sometimes those children are not quite willing to cooperate. So, as we explored the Natural History Museum, we didn't see all of it but, I did take pictures of the finer things of nature's history.

The Ocean Hall. Pretty much everything in the Ocean Hall creeped me out or disgusted me, no pictures of the ocean.

The Mammal Room. What makes a mammal a mammal? Luckily I have the answer for you. If you are not in, or teaching elementary school right now, you will remember that mammals produce milk and also have hair. This is what makes a mammal a mammal. However, they are now teaching the children that in order to be a mammal you must also have special ear bones. It gets more complicated all the time. Next they'll be teaching the children about diaphragms and jaw bones, what is the world coming to?

You would think that these pictures of the mammals would creep me out, as did many things in the ocean, but they did not, they fascinated me. I love the natural history we are teaching the children here. Sure, they had normal animals for the kids to enjoy, but we must also note the predators and victims of nature. "Look honey, high abover your head, there's a very satisfied looking leopard in a tree with it's dinner. Don't worry dear, the antelope had it coming to him and plus, the leopard has to eat, right?"

On to the Dinosaur Room. I couldn't really get a good picture of this because of the many screaming tykes who wanted their picture with the dinosaur too. I just like to take this moment to thank my dentist for taking such good care of my teeth, otherwise they might be the same color as Rex's teeth. Rex's teeth look a lot sharper though.

No comments:

Post a Comment