Friday, February 20, 2009

“I cannot live without books.” Thomas Jefferson, June 10, 1815

You were right, you were all right. Right that you knew I wouldn't be able to keep this updated. I always have such good intentions and I think about updating it all the time. But you knew better, you knew I couldn't follow through. Enjoy this new post but old experience as a reward for your rightness.

I went to the Library of Congress on February 6th. This may have been the tippy top of my list to make it here. It is the largest library in the world. Unfortunately, the more interesting parts of the library are unable to be photographed, which causes much sadness. Just so you know, my mouth was gaping open through almost the whole self-guided tour (don't bother with a docent tour, they are boring, don't talk loudly enough, and make unfunny docent jokes). The Gutenberg Bible is here and it is very pretty. Also, Thomas Jefferson's collection of over 6,000 books; he sold it to the Library of Congress to help get it started, wasn't that nice? And now they're all on display carefully behind glass, patroled by book guards and glaring signs that say "no photographs." At least I have a good memory.

They do let you take pictures of the Entrance Hall. It is quite impressive, as you can see.



This is unrelated, but still in the Library of Congress, so I guess it's well, related. They also have other exhibits that don't have a lot to do with books, like the Bob Hope exhibit and also the Gershwin exhibit. This is George Gershwin's piano and me. I think I am long enough that I can reach over the glass and play it, don't you think? Oh yes, that's right, I abide by rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment